1. Can you explain more about crate training. I will send the daily schedule home with your puppy. The same schedule we was use here. Crate training speeds up the potty training process.
2. Where is the best place to buy the puppy’s food? I’ve looked for it at several stores and they don’t carry it. Try Amazon, Petco.com or Chewy.com
3. Are antlers bad for their teeth? How about bones? Antlers are VERY dangerous to puppies and dogs, too hard and can crack or break teeth. Bones I recommend are odor free bully sticks, red barn bones, and nylabones.
4. The puppy’s meal will be dry kibble, but is it bad to give snacks of human food or wet food? Wet canned puppy food is not necessary, the dry kibble keeps tartar off teeth. You want your dog to have strong teeth and gums. Human food is bad, there are a couple exceptions. Raw carrots are good for their digestive, and they like them. Do not by baby carrots they are soaked in toxins. I give my dogs fresh green beans out of the garden in the summer, they love it. I give them some apple pieces cut up without skin. (must cut up tiny). I give my dogs whole milk yogurt twice a week, a heaping tablespoon. Cannot be greek or low fat yogurt has to be whole milk. Aspartine is added to lots of the low fat yogurt, and is toxic to doggies.
5. Should I not let her out into the backyard or for walks until she has all her vaccinations? Keep the puppy in your own yard until she has had all her vaccines. You may start putting a harness on her and walking her around the yard.
6. How do I train the puppy and learn the commands to train her? Are there websites you recommend?
At 8 weeks old the only training your puppy needs is crate training and potty training. The commands you can start at 12 weeks old.....like sit, stay, down. The first month she is home you want to get her acclimated to your routine. Work on the potty training schedule I provide for you.
7. Do the puppies usually get up in the middle of the night to pee? What if they are in their crate? You will pick up the water and food at 8:00 each night, and take her out just before your bedtime, that should help her hold it longer throughout the night. Put an old towel in the crate for the first month in case she has an accident, put her Mom's blanket that I provide for you (with mom's scent) over the crate to comfort her. Put the crate next to your bed eye level. If she is not happy about being in the crate just stick your fingers in the crate and in a soothing voice tell her she is okay. If she wakes up in the middle of the night you will want to take her out, but you will not wake her up to go potty.
8. How many hours at a stretch do the puppies sleep at night, or do they sleep the whole night through? It depends. Here they sleep about 5 hours stretches at night. When she arrives at your house, everything is new to her, she may wake up more often.
9. What sort of grooming brush/spray do you recommend?
A soft bristle brush. No spray needed. Brush once a week. Use puppy shampoo even as an adult, it is tear free, and will not dry out your puppies skin.
10. How many times a day should I walk her, and how long each time? This is on the schedule I will provide. In the beginning you are not walking your puppy. You are just taking them out to go potty approximately every 2 hours. Also in the begging for every 10 to 15 minutes of play they will sleep 2 hours. If you have children do not let them tire them out or overplay with them. They need their sleep just like babies do.